In this fast paced world, everything has to be micro, mobile, portable and easy to use. This includes devices like projectors, which once only used to be bulky, heavy machines that would take a long time to set up and had a multitude of cables to worry about plugging in correctly. These days, all of this has changed with the advent of the iPhone and other smart phones. These new technologies have allowed for the creation of a new way of displaying images and video at home and great presentations at work: the mini projector.
Why Choose a Mini Projector
A mini projector is, as the name implies, mini. Many of them are no larger than a smart phone, so they can easily fit in your pocket or your carry on luggage. They are usually very light, as well, which makes them one of the most convenient devices to have both for work and play.
Just because they are smaller than their counterparts, however, does not mean that they can provide less quality services. Many of these mini projectors pack a punch like the BenQ Joybee GP2, ready to display an image in vivid color and with amazing brightness. Mini projectors are also much easier to install and use than the older and larger versions. One of the most important things that they eliminate is the need to have a constant power source. Most mini projectors have rechargeable batteries that last for two or three hours at a time, allowing you to use the device anywhere you want, whether there is a power outlet available or not. Another feature that sets these projectors apart is that they have a long lasting lamp, averaging 20,000 hours. This saves you so much time and money which larger projectors would not.
Mini projectors are designed to work with iPhones, iPads, Androids, and a variety of other smart phones. Many of them even have apps that you can download right into your phone to maximize and simplify the use of the projector. They have ports for ease of connectivity so that you can access all the information and content you need at all times. Unlike some of the older projectors, these mini options also have better basic technology you can depend on. Instead of the old LCD, or liquid-crystal display, technology which could deteriorate images after a few years, the new mini projectors utilize DLP, or digital light processing, technology. With this new feature, your images will remain at a great quality no matter how old your projector is.
For many people, however, the key difference between the older projectors and these mini ones of today is the price. These days, a mini projector can cost you anywhere from $100 to $500, which is much more accessible than the older projectors, which would cost somewhere between $1,000 and $3,000.
The Many Uses of a Mini Projector
A mini projector can have many uses. They are no longer limited to just playing movies or displaying images mainly because of how portable the new ones are. Since many of them have their own internal memory system, giving a great presentation at work, for example, no longer requires having to connect the device to a computer or anything else. Mini projectors have also become very popular in the video game community, not only because they are portable, but also because they are easy to hook up and use. Their image quality and brightness is powerful enough to enhance games and add to the fun.
Mini projectors can be a huge asset not only for your business life, but to your personal life as well. Create an impromptu theater whenever you want or view your favorite images on directly from your smart phone with these small devices.
How to Choose a Mini Projector
There are many mini projector options out there today. It is important to have a good idea of what to look for before setting out to buy a mini projector to save yourself time and stress. There are a few key things to look for when determining if a mini projector is the right choice for you.
One of the first things to consider is what its use will be. By knowing where the device will be used and what it will be required to do will narrow down the choices and help you find the one that best fits your needs. For people who will be using the projector in dark areas, for example, the projector’s brightness, measured in ANSI lumens, will not make such a difference as it would if you needed to clearly view images in bright room.
Below we have the most important features to look for when choosing a mini projector.
- Brightness—The more ANSI lumens the projector offers, the brighter the image will be. This is one very important factor to look for. Some projectors, like the Optoma EP-PK-101, only have around 10 ANSI lumens, which means the only way they can project a clear, vivid image is in a totally darkened room. Others, like Acer K11, have 200 ANSI lumens, which can ensure that you will be able to use the projector successfully even in rooms that are bright. Depending on your needs, you should pay close attention to the ANSI lumens that a mini projector has in order to find the one most useful for you.
- Picture Quality—Picture quality is very important when it comes to any projector. You want clear images that are easy to see, with great contrast levels to enhance the viewing experience. Look for a mini projector that has a good image resolution and contrast ratio. If you need a projector that can provide large images, it is crucial that you choose one that does not skimp on image quality in exchange of size. Look for high contrast ratios and high resolutions as well as a large image size in order to choose the best mini projector.
- Ports—The more ports a mini projector has, the more useful it will be. A mini projector worth its price will have at least one USB port and a composite AV port. The best mini projectors have HDMI ports and even SD card slots to make accessing your information even simpler and quicker. Most of these mini projectors come with the cables that can connect these ports to other devices. Be aware that some projectors only work with brand-specific cables.
- Features—Other things to look for when buying a mini projector are special features that will enhance the device. Some mini projectors come with remote controls, to allow you maximum freedom when using them. Remote controls make presentations much easier, so it is a feature that truly makes a difference. Look for a long lasting lamp, as well. You should expect 20,000 to 30,000 hours of use from a single lamp. If you do not want to have to buy external speakers, choose a mini projector that has internal speakers with a good volume level, otherwise you will not be able to hear anything unless you are sitting close by. Another feature to consider is whether the projector has a fan or not. Without a fan, the device can overheat, but it is also important to know that if you choose a projector with a fan, it might be louder than the speakers are.
Batteries are a very important feature in a mini projector because they can make it possible for you to use the device anywhere you want. The longer the battery can last on one charge, the better. On average, mini projector batteries can last 2 or 3 hours, though there are some batteries that can go for as long as 6 hours. Another great feature that many projectors provide is a manual focus option. This gives you maximum control when it comes to image quality.
- Ease of Use—A mini projector is not worth much if you cannot figure out how to use it. The kind of device to look for is one that is simple to plug into other units, whether laptops or smart phones, and that will give you no trouble running. Look for a mini projector that comes with a clearly written manual that you can turn to for help if you need it.
- Price Range—Depending on your budget, price might be another crucial aspect to consider when it comes to choosing your mini projector. You can find options ranging anywhere from $100 to $500, but you do have to realize that the lower end prices come with some drawbacks.
A mini projector is a great new option to the standard projectors. They can make presentations easier and they can transform any room into a personal theater. We have all kinds of portable devices like tablets and smart phones, so why not add another way of accessing content in our lives in a fun and easy manner? By taking into consideration all the great mini projector options available, you will be able to find the right one for your needs.